Friday, August 21, 2015

7QT: Seven Quick Takes (Volume XXIII)

I'm linking up with This Ain't the Lyceum to bring you seven quick takes from my world this week.
~1~

OVER IT. 

I thought last week sucked was rough, but this week has been equally difficult.  School starts next week for our college freshmen.  They were born in 1997.  How's that for feeling old?!  I'm just so tired that I ache inside.  Maybe I can rest this weekend.  

~2~

Stranger Danger.  

I'm putting myself out there tomorrow to meet a group of Catholic women.  I'm hoping to meet/needing some friends, especially like-minded individuals.  Plus, one of my only friends here moved about a year ago, and she has yet to be replaced.  Even though I'm an introvert, I love people.  I'm excited and nervous at the same time.

~3~

Toxic.  

One of the reasons the last few weeks have been so awful is that my job is increasingly becoming a toxic environment.  I feel like I need to spend a lot of time praying about everything, and yet, the thought of really, truly contemplating it all is pretty overwhelming.

~4~

Habits.

I finished reading Gretchen Rubin's Better than Before, as well as Getting Things Done by David Allen, Essentialism by Greg McKeown, and Do Less by Rachel Jonat.  Whew.  Long list.

What I took away from it is that, you have to figure out what matters to you, and at the cost of things that don't matter as much, pursue what matters.  Also, you have to set up a lifestyle, through organization, habits, mindset, etc., that make it easier to live your best life, live a life that is "better than before," or live a life that is intentionally aligned with your values.

Am I doing that?  No.  I am organized in some ways, and a disaster in others.  For instance, I could really use some habits in the morning routine, as well as the meal-planning arena.  I have some good habits in place, like regular exercise and weekly church attendance.  I also have some bad habits in place, which inevitably make me feel ragged, depressed, and out of control.

I think reading all these books, juxtaposed with the stress at work has really made me have a, "what does it all mean?!" and "what is this worth to me?!" moment.  I don't know if a big change is coming, or a big attitude change, or just a big dose of contemplation.  Either way, I'm glad I read all those books.  I'd recommend Better than Before and Do Less the most.

~5~

Eating. 

I'm now reading a book, Why We Get Fat.  I've known for years that I don't process sugar well, and that carbs (not burned) turn into sugar.  I'm giving myself until the end of the book, but I truly think it's time...time for me to truly, once-and-for-all give up sugar and carbs.  I know I would feel better.  I would probably lose weight, and I'm hoping that I wouldn't have the horrible roller coaster of blood sugar if I ate this way.  I'm sure it would be difficult, but if it had the benefits that I think it would, the difficulty would be worth it.  

~6~

Summer.

I can feel it in the air, see it in the sunset, and there's no way of avoiding the academic calendar...summer is coming to a close.

~7~
Links.

Interesting links this week:

Stephen Colbert's Catholic faith (a little bit of language, but a WHOLE LOT of wisdom)
My take away was the very Ignatian viewpoint he presented:

“So it would be ungrateful not to take everything with gratitude. It doesn't mean you want it. I can hold both of those ideas in my head.”

Elizabeth Esther's take on the newest Josh Duggar scandal

Was Jesus nice?

Spiritual warfare tactics


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I would like to pray for all marriages, all who struggle with same-sex attraction, all who have left the Catholic faith, and all who seek truth.  That's just what's on my heart.    

"For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world. " 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! I'd love to discuss life with you.