Friday, May 13, 2016

7QT: Seven Quick Takes (Volume XXXIV)

I'm linking up with This Ain't the Lyceum to bring you seven quick takes from my world this week.

~1~
The Mundane. 

I never thought I could be so excited about a stretch of highway, but due to mother nature's work on April 18th, we have been unable to use several major thoroughfares near our house for nearly four weeks.  This has made my already long commute (1-1.5 hours each way) into unbelievably long (2-2.5 hours each way).  So, I'm back to spending 2-3 hours per day in the car, rather than 4-5.  I'm back to getting up at 6 am rather than 5 am.

I'll take it.  My bosses graciously let me work from home a few times the last month.  I wish that would be a permanent arrangement, but it won't.  I'm just glad to have the convenience back.  

~2~

Mother's Day. 

I wrote about Mother's Day here on the blog.  A tough holiday for some.

~3~
Fambly.

I will be traveling next week to see my family.  My brother has been overseas with the military for about a year.  We haven't seen him since August, and he couldn't come home for Christmas.  My parents graciously paid for my husband and me to join in the celebrations next week.  So, I'll be headed to a little family get together.  

~4~
Fr. Anthony

My husband is a member of a Lay Cistercian community.  Their spiritual director died this week.  I met him three times while on retreats with my husband.  He was a rare gift to the world.  Very humble, wise, funny, spunky, honest, loving.  It's hard to quantify how a simple monk could have such a profound impact on so many, but he did, myself included.  I was looking forward to seeing him again on our next retreat.  As sad as it is to lose him, I'm grateful for him and his life.  His was a life well-lived.  He knew who he was, what he was called to do, and he did it - all for God.  We'll miss you Fr. Anthony.  Please pray for us.     
  
~5~
Friday the 13th.

I know relatively little about Our Lady of Fatima, but I do know that on May 13 is when she first appeared to the children of Fatima.  I recently learned a little more about all of it via the Divine Mercy series (which is available on Formed dot org for a limited time).  I highly recommend the series.  Our world needs mercy.  It's beautiful to see the progression from the Sacred Heart to St. Therese to St. Faustina and Pope St. John Paul II.  Clearly this is a message for our time.  

~6~
Working Weekend.

I work in higher education.  Near graduation time, we are always called into the office one weekend to get everything ready.  It went well last weekend.  It just cracked me up to see my boss in a t-shirt reading "TGIF - This Grandma is Fabulous" and another co-worker (also a grandma) wearing a t-shirt that said "sexy" on it...maybe there's a reason for those dress codes on the other days of the week.  

~7~

In an effort not to drown in despair, I simply implore us all to pray for our world.  Whether it's culture wars, the next election, public bathrooms, persecution of minorities in other parts of the world, ISIS, or our own futures, there is much to fret about.  But, we aren't called to fret.  Pray, do penance, and trust in God.  



2 comments:

  1. I love your "Pray, Hope and Don't Worry" meme. Probably the most appropriate message for any situation, ever. That may become a mental mantra of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't make the meme, but it's a Padre Pio quote (the guy at the top). Applies to pretty much everything, right?

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to discuss life with you.