Thursday, July 7, 2016

7QT: Seven Quick Takes (Volume XLI)

I'm linking up with This Ain't the Lyceum to bring you seven quick takes from my world this week.


~1~

Lizz Lovett, a young wife and mother of four, passed away after a valiant fight with cancer. Contribute if you can to this GoFundMe account for her family, this video shows her courage in facing suffering and death.  She faced it and fought it head on, not giving into the lie of "death with dignity," but death with true dignity - in God's time.  Lord, have mercy.  

~2~

I am so saddened by the violence and senseless deaths in our society.  Pray for peace, unity, and an end to racism.  Although written as a result to different violent tendencies, this blog post by Fr. Dwight Longenecker came to mind this week.  As I write this, the news out of Dallas from last night is being released, even more to mourn.  More violence, more division.  I have friends who say I can't speak up because I'm not one of the minority being discriminated against.  I have other friends who think that silence is compliance.  I don't know what to do but hope and pray for better times, for justice, and for peace.    

A quote from Fr. Longenecker, 

"In the breakdown of the family, the church can become an alternative community not of hatred and fear and violence, but an alternative family of love, acceptance, forgiveness and reconciliation.  In the midst of darkness we can provide a haven and a refuge of light.  
We’d better get busy doing it!"

~3~

I hope everyone had an enjoyable Independence Day last Monday.  We went to a cook-out at my in-laws.  First we had lunch, then lounged around, went outside, watched a movie.  Then, we had all the same food for dinner a few hours later and watched fireworks.  It was fun.  For whatever reason, my 3-year-old nephew and godson was really attached to me that day.  I know the preferences of a 3-year-old are pretty fickle, but he's a sweetie, and I enjoyed hanging out.  In just a few short years, I'll be chopped liver, so I'll take it.    

~4~

I have used the summer to get a tune-up, you know like a car does, only for myself.  My insurance (the fiscal year at work) changes each July 1.  Before it changed (and prices went up), I got a check up with a new OB/GYN and a mammogram.  Then, after the change, I've made appointments for an eye appointment and dental exam.  I had to get a new dentist because of an awful experience I had last year.  I had to get a new eye doctor because the last time I drove by her office, it had turned into a Subway restaurant.  I couldn't find news of a relocation anywhere online, so off to a newbie I go.  I guess I'd better get to flossing for my dental exam (!!) I'm so bad at doing that regularly.  And, I feel like I should lose weight before seeing my regular doctor again.  She's always telling me how fat I am, and I could stand to lose 10-15 pounds.  It was refreshing to just hear how old I was from the OB/GYN.  Perhaps on a related note, I hate going to the doctor.  I do it out of obligation and self-care, but it's very hard for me.  In fact, I was so tripped out by it that they remarked that my pulse was high.        

~5~

One of the good things about living in one of the largest cities in the US is that random people pass through on layovers, for work conferences, and every now and then, someone you know moves here. I had a former student of mine contact me to say he was moving to town.  He and his wife ate dinner with my husband and me lastnight.  I'm older than my husband, and it seems that his wife is about my age, and he is about my husband's age.  Anyway, I don't see us being new BFFs, but it was fun to catch up and chat about the arts scene here and where they might live...not that I'm an expert, I still feel new, but there's something about seeing someone from "back home," that brings a nice feeling.  

~6~

This is an anonymous blog, but I still don't feel like I can say exactly what we need prayer for.  If you're the praying type and care to say a prayer for us, please do.   

~7~

After finishing a novena to Our Lady, Undoer of Knots, my husband and I just finished a novena to St. Joseph. Next, I'm going to do a novena to the Holy Spirit.  We need a lot of prayer lately.

(P.S. there's a novena app now, which has proved very handy, it's called Pray: the Catholic Novena App, and it's free.)


Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us!  St. Joseph, pray for us!  Come, Holy Spirit! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! I'd love to discuss life with you.