Friday, May 15, 2015

7QT: Seven Quick Takes (Volume XII)

I'm linking up with This Ain't the Lyceum to bring you seven quick takes from my world this week.

~1~
Dental Surgery. 

Dental work of any kind is absolutely for the birds.  I have been to the dentist once a week for about a month now to have follow-up for a surgery I had.  The final procedure is about a week and a half away.  I am not longsuffering.  I am not good at suffering, and I like it to last a short time, if it has to come.  Isn't that how we are as humans?  I try to pray my way through it or "offer it up," but I will be glad to be back to normal in another month or so.  There is always a cross, I know this.  I like to think I would lay down my life for Jesus, but when I suffer just a teensy tinsy bit, I basically fall apart and wish it to be over as soon as possible.  I've got a long way to go.    

~2~
Jury Duty.

I was summoned for jury duty this week.  On the one hand, I was excited to see our judicial system up close and personal, and on the other hand, I was a little irritated at the disruption to my routine.  I had to leave home before 7 AM to make it on time, I had to pay downtown parking fees, I had to pack a non-perishable lunch, and bring several books to occupy my time, and this is arguably the busiest time of year at my job.  I woke up early to make it on time and sat in a room with a few hundred strangers for a few hours.  My number was not called, so I got to leave by lunchtime.  I went to work out of guilt and confusion - I wasn't sure if I had to, or if I got a full day off for a half day of duty.  I will say that when dealing with the general population (in order to be eligible to serve, you must be: US citizen, over 18, and with no felony conviction - so basically "decent" people), that I am always surprised at how rude and lazy people are, and how quickly a herd mentality asserts itself.  Also, I found myself irrationally irritated at the people right around me who talked the entire time, while everyone else was doing a quiet or silent activity while waiting.  They covered such topics as the Vietnam war, Obama, abortion, adultery, weaponry of ancient Greece and Rome...you name it.  I will never for the life of me understand those people who, in a silent (or very quiet) room of hundreds, don't notice that they are the only people talking and talk loudly.  I had earplugs and a book.  The lady next to me was so irritated that she moved away from them.  Maybe I should have done the same, rather than silently cursing them.  I can't figure out if it's because I value silence as an introvert, or if I'm just not a morning person, or if I am a hater, but it was an assault on the senses for me.  

~3~
Work.

I work in higher education, and it's graduation season.  Our office came in all weekend and worked last Saturday and Sunday.  Some (luckily, not me) will also work this weekend.  It's a busy time of year, but one in which I can see the direct results of the job I do.  I'm usually a few steps removed from the students, but as they graduate, I can see how my work plays a direct part in the process - not necessarily their success, they do have to go to class and pass - but it is more gratifying this time of year than any other for me.  

~4~
Mother's Day. 

We made a lasagna last weekend for my mother-in-law and hosted dinner for my in-laws (both brother-in-law and parents-in-law).  It was a success.  Instead of noodles, it used zucchini.  I am so grateful for a husband who fully participates in our life.  I guess, since I grew up with a dad who did nothing domestic - didn't lift a finger - I assumed I would be taking the majority of the housework when we got married.  I knew my husband wasn't like that, but I still have the internal message of, "You will have to do this all by yourself," or "You won't be getting any help from anyone."  That's just not true.  I had to remind myself that it is always better when we do things as a team.  Always.  And I wouldn't even say I made dinner and he helped, but that we both hosted the dinner and equally prepared for it.  I don't know if this qualifies as a modern marriage, or not.  Nor do I really care.  It just makes my life so much better to not feel like I do everything by myself, especially domestic tasks, which are extremely difficult for me.  

~5~
Concert. 

I'm a classically trained musician, and this weekend, I will be dusting off the old instrument and playing in public.  I'm excited.  My day job has nothing to do with music anymore, and that's fine, but I still want music to be a part of my life.  Since moving a few years ago, I haven't quite found a niche for music yet, but this is a start.  There have been late night rehearsals and some commitments and sacrifices for me to participate, but it has all been worth it because I realize it has fed my soul, and I want more of it.  

~6~
Wedding. 

Yes, we got married almost 7 months ago, but our wedding is being featured in a local community magazine!  We didn't think we'd get picked, since neither of us are supermodels, our wedding wasn't elite, nor do we come from pedigree.  But, I guess we lucked out because they selected us to be featured.  It's a full page spread with little factoids about the wedding.  I would post a pic, but it would totally blow my anonymous blogging.  My wedding was a once in a lifetime event that was so beautiful and meaningful to us, I'm glad to continue to celebrate it with our friends and a few million strangers in the area.    

~7~
Emotions. 

I am reading two different books on healing your emotions and handling them well.  I really need work on this area (see #2).  They are: The Emotions God Gave You by Art and Laraine Bennett and Healing the Unaffirmed by Dr. Conrad Baars.  (Not paid to endorse either one, just sharing.)  So far, I've gotten a lot out of the Bennett book, it's very practical.  The Baars book is a little too clinical for my feeble mind.  However, I'm going to finish it, then I want to read Feeling and Healing Your Emotions by Dr. Baars, which I think might be more helpful to me.  I will let you know.  Basically, I am a survivor of a traumatic and abusive childhood.  As a result of that, sometimes I have very immature emotions or reactions, and sometimes I feel completely numb inside and cannot get in touch with my emotions.  I have been to therapy, and yet, I still haven't arrived.  I need a lot of help and work in this area to heal.    

Happy Feast of the Ascension 
(plus one day)

Why does the Ascension matter?  I will let St. Augustine have the last word: 

"Today our Lord Jesus Christ ascended into heaven; let our hearts ascend with him. Listen to the words of the Apostle: If you have risen with Christ, set your hearts on the things that are above where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God; seek the things that are above, not the things that are on earth. For just as he remained with us even after his ascension, so we too are already in heaven with him, even though what is promised us has not yet been fulfilled in our bodies."
- St. Augustine, bishop of Hippo





No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! I'd love to discuss life with you.